Thomas Cook to introduce Virtual Reality in stores in UK, Germany and Belgium
24 November 2014 – Building on the company’s pioneering heritage, Thomas Cook Group plc, @ThomasCookGrp has today announced the next stage in its plans to feature immersive virtual reality content in the Omni-channel space. The initiative, which will effectively allow customers to try before they buy, will soon be available to customers to experience via head-mounted VR display models in selected retail outlets in the UK, Germany and Belgium.
Thomas Cook Group plc Customer wearing headset Marco Ryan
. Brand Logo Chief Innovation Officer
. Thomas Cook Group plc
Following a successful initial UK trial at the Bluewater concept store in August 2014, Thomas Cook has produced a range of immersive, VR-ready content that will provide customers with the opportunity to look before they book their next holiday experience.
The bespoke content features a variety of destinations offered by Thomas Cook, allowing customers to enjoy a range of ‘taster’ experiences, such as a helicopter tour of Manhattan, a trip to the pool at a SENTIDO resort in Rhodes or a visit to the restaurant in a SunConnect resort in Cyprus, without leaving the store.
Marco Ryan, newly appointed Chief Innovation Officer at Thomas Cook, said: “Thomas Cook has a long history of innovation, continually exploring ways to offer unique experiences to the customer. Virtual reality technologies are set to play a key role in how companies showcase experience-based products to their customers, and we are proud to be ahead of the curve when it comes to being the digital leaders in travel. Our use of VR is set to further enhance the in-store shopping experience for Thomas Cook customers, allowing them to make informed decisions regarding their next holiday using innovative technology that effectively lets them try before they buy.”
Embodying its strategy of offering customers a high tech, high touch experience across all Omni-channel touch points, Thomas Cook’s holiday-oriented content is also set to be hosted on the company’s website to complement the current, standard video content available for desk top, tablet and mobile devices.
Notes to editors
- UK (3 stores) – Bluewater and two other stores to be determined
- Germany (3 stores) – Werrepark Bad Oeynhausen Shopping Centre, Goethe-Galerie Jena Shopping Centre, Roland-Centre Bremen Shopping Centre.
- Belgium (4 stores) – Neckermann Wijnegem, Shopping Centre, Neckermann Woluwe Shopping Centre, Neckermann Leuven, Neckermann Charleroi.
- New York experiences – helicopter tour of Manhattan, drive Times Square from a yellow cab, check out the view from Top of The Rock, boat tour around Statue of Liberty.
- Rhodes – SENTIDO, hotel overview including pools, restaurants, bars, beach and other facilities. Range of room types and views. Also nearby attractions and points of interest.
- Rhodes town – Smartline, hotel overview including pool, restaurants, lobby, nearby beach facilities, and various room types / views. Also nearby attractions and points of interest.
- Cyprus – SunConnect, full resort overview including pools, restaurants, beach facilities, and various room types / views. Also nearby attractions and points of interest, including the local waterpark.
About Thomas Cook Group plc.
Thomas Cook Group plc is one of the world’s leading leisure travel groups with sales of over £9 billion and more than 20 million customers in the year ended 30 September 2013. Thomas Cook is supported by c27,000 employees and operates from 17 countries; it is number one or two in all its core markets. Thomas Cook Group plc’s shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange (TCG).
For more information visit the website at https://www.thomascookgroup.com.
Group Head of Communication
Thomas Cook Group plc
Phone: +44 207 557 6431
Group Head of External Communications
Thomas Cook Group plc
Phone: +44 207 294 7199